Strong corporate governance ensures investors’ interests are protected. Newalta is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the symbol NAL.
A written mandate outlines Newalta Board responsibilities. The effectiveness of the Board as well as each Committee and individual director are assessed annually.
The Board supervises the management of the business and affairs of Newalta and provides direction on:
- Strategic planning processes
- Risk management
- Standards of business conduct
- Environmental stewardship
Newalta has adopted policies and programs to maintain high standards of corporate governance. Newalta’s Code of Conduct, Whistleblower and Anti-Retaliation Policy (pdf) provides day-to-day guidance for our directors, officers and employees.
We align the interests of our Board members and officers with those of our investors. Share ownership requirements of our CEO, CFO and directors, as well as guidelines for other officers, adopted by the Board require:
- Outside directors to own at least three times their annual retainer
- The Chief Executive Officer to own at least three times his base salary
- The Chief Financial Officer to own at least one and one-half times his base salary
- Vice Presidents to own at least one and one-half times their base salary
Read more about Board of Director share ownership in the Management Information Circular and Proxy Statement (pdf).